.
.

What is Anaphylactic Shock and Why is It Dangerous?

Anaphylactic, also commonly called anaphylactic shock, is an allergic reaction that affects the whole body and is considered an emergency medical condition. This potentially life-threatening reaction can occur anywhere between a few seconds to minutes after exposure to an allergen. Exposure triggers a response from the immune system that can cause shock and even death if not treated immediately.

What causes an anaphylactic shock?

What is anaphylactic shock and why is it dangerous?

If you already have an allergic reaction, you risk anaphylactic. But not all allergic reactions will cause anaphylactics.

Allergic reactions that might put you at risk are:

  • Food allergies such as milk, shellfish, soybeans, eggs, peanuts, and tree nuts
  • Allergy to drugs such as penicillin
  • Allergy bite or insect stings

Less common causes of allergic reactions are:

  • Latex allergy
  • Anaphylactic shock before
  • Sports

What are the symptoms of anaphylactic shock?

Anaphylactic shock can have many symptoms. Anaphylactic reactions are different because a number of symptoms can appear at once.

Common symptoms may include:

  • itchy skin or itchy patches
  • colds or sneezing
  • itchy mouth and throat, difficulty swallowing, or swollen lips and tongue
  • swollen limbs
  • cough
  • cramps or diarrhea
  • gag
  • Symptoms of serious anaphylactic shock

Some anaphylactic symptoms require emergency treatment, including:

  • shortness of breath or blocked breath
  • chest pain or tightness in the chest
  • low blood pressure
  • the pulse is weak and fast
  • dizzy or faint
  • in a daze

The symptoms of anaphylactic shock can get worse very quickly. Treatment is needed within 30 to 60 minutes because symptoms can sometimes be fatal.

Anaphylactic symptoms tend to have patterns. As an example:

  • Symptoms appear a few minutes after you touch or eat or what you are allergic to.
  • A number of symptoms appear at the same time. For example, rashes, swelling, and vomiting.
  • The first round of symptoms disappears but then comes back in eight hours to 72 hours later.
  • A single reaction continues for hours.

Who is most at risk of having anaphylactic shock?

There are several risk factors that are known to trigger anaphylactic. This condition is believed that genetics can increase a person's risk of this type of reaction. This is considered especially true for people with a family history of sports anaphylactics.

People who suffer from allergies or asthma also have an increased risk of anaphylactics. If you have experienced anaphylactics, you run the risk of experiencing it again.

If you have a high risk of anaphylactics, you can reduce the risk of this type of severe allergic reaction by avoiding triggers that you know about. It is also important that people at risk and their loved ones be prepared for emergencies that may occur. Patients with severe allergies are generally advised to carry an epinephrine autoinjector at all times and also ensure that both they and those close to them know how to use the autoinjector correctly. An autoinjector is a device consisting of a hidden needle and a syringe with one full dose of medicine. When this is injected into the outer portion of the upper thigh, it can slow down or stop an allergic reaction and potentially save someone's life.

First aid in anaphylactic shock

If you think you or someone you know is having an anaphylactic shock, seek emergency medical attention.

Make sure the person is comfortable. Raise their legs to help the flow of blood. If someone stops breathing, give CPR and other first-aid until help arrives.

Many people with severe allergies are equipped with epinephrine auto-injectors. This can help treat the symptoms of the reaction.

Epinephrine (or adrenaline) is often used to treat anaphylactic. This tool is given via an auto-injector, which contains a needle that can give one dose of adrenaline at a time. The body area for injection is usually the outer thigh muscle. After injection, symptoms should subside quickly. If not, a second injection may be needed. You still need to see a doctor for further treatment.

Prevents anaphylactic shock

The best way to stop anaphylactic is to avoid trigger allergies: food or other things that make you allergic. Your doctor can help you find out what triggers your allergies with simple tests such as skin prick tests or blood tests.

A doctor can then give the advice to avoid triggering your allergies. This method will help you avoid allergic and anaphylactic reactions.

Make an anaphylactic action plan. That is, tell people in your life guidance about what to do if you suffer from anaphylactic shock. Your action plan should contain information about anaphylactic symptoms and give advice on what to do in an emergency.